The world has come together, as it does every four years, and with the World Cup taking place in Qatar this year. It was finally time for the MENA region to shine its light among a global audience. With millions of people leaving their homes to be a part of this sporting event that united the world, Qatar is exploring different means by which to amplify its creative scene, one of which was by creating the biggest fashion show in the world – Qatar Fashion United that took place on 16 December, between the semifinal and final of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
Qatar Creates and CR Runway partnered to honor the intersection of culture, fashion, music and sports with an epic fashion show. Showcasing more than 150 designers from 6 continents and 50 countries, pieces from around the world were presented in front of 25,000 spectators in the center of the Ras Abu Aboud 974 Stadium, Qatar staggered the world with the MENA region’s creative capabilities. Here is all you need to know about the historic event.
- The catwalk included 21 Qatar-based brand, including 1309, TIIYA and Yasmin Mansour, and others from the MENA region, alongside the most internationally recognized fashion icons in the world.
- The uniquely designed and choreographed runway featured an opening act that signified the unity of the world. National ambassadors representing the 32 countries participating in the World Cup wore customized jerseys to represent their countries’ victories as part of the headline.
- A special performance by local Qatari brands Aliya Al Obaidly and Harlienz took place and was inspired by Qatar’s traditional practice of pearl diving. The performance featured a contemporary rendition of the Gulf folk song “Tob Tob ya Bahar” by Qatari composer Hala Al Emadi that was performed by Dana.
- The event highlighted the highly acclaimed music scene in the region by featuring show-stopping performances by international superstars including DJ Snake, Kadim Al Sahir, Khaled, Nancy Ajram, Ozuna, Zakes Bantwini, and more.
- The event raised funds for education through the support of Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser and Her Excellency Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani’s non-profit organization Education Above All. All proceeds from the ticket sales will support the organization in providing educational opportunities to underserved youth and creating space for women to be active members in their communities.
“It is a singular historic event for Qatar to host this FIFA World Cup, the first to be held in any Arab nation,” says Her Excellency Sheikha Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Chairperson of Qatar Museums and Fashion Trust Arabia Co-Chair, “and only the most spectacular celebration of fashion and culture can match this great occasion. Just as the World Cup brings together people from across the entire globe for the excitement of high athletic achievement, so will Qatar Fashion United by CR Runway be electrifying audiences here in Doha and everywhere with the splendor of this unprecedented creative gathering.”
What a beautiful way to end the World Cup, celebrating the unprecedented ways that sport unites the world. Music, fashion, and even charity, all joining forces under the umbrella of football.